Friday, February 11, 2005

On Holiday

Tomorrow is Lincoln's Birthday, if anyone cares. Today is Lincoln's Birthday (observed). It's observed by the San Diego County Superior Court System, so I technically get the day off today. I say "technically" because I do not have to go to work, but people will be at the office anyway, working. Federal Courts, Post Offices, ktl. do not get the day off, as Lincoln's birthday has been combined with Washington's to form the ambiguous "President's Day." I also get President's Day off.

I did not take the day off out of any respect for-- or admiration of--Lincoln, but simply because I would rather not go to work. I get paid anyway (court holidays are paid holidays), so there is no real incentive for me to go and actually do something when I can sit at home.

I planned to go on a tirade about Lincoln, holidays, and government, but a fellow Indian has written a vastly superior article on Lew Rockwell's website. You can read her article here. This leaves me little else to write about.

I posted some new links today.

Expect a post concerning George Orwell and any one of his essays soon.

It is time for me to enjoy my day off.