Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Admit To Fraudulence.

Compare:

"He was invading my personal space, as I had learned in Psych. class, and I instinctively sunk back into the seat. That just made him move in closer. I was practically one with the leather at this point, and unless I hopped into the back seat, there was nowhere else for me to go" (McCafferty 213).

and

"He was definitely invading my personal space, as I had learned in Human Evolution class last summer, and I instinctively backed up till my legs hit the chair I had been sitting in. That just made him move in closer, until the grommets in the leather embossed the backs of my knees, and he finally tilted the book toward me" (Viswanathan 175).

Apparently Kaavya Viswanathan, one of the youngest published authors (she's 19) and a Harvard student, wrote a book (How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life [a miserable title, no?]) that bears certain similarities to Megan McCafferty's Sloppy Firsts (another miserable title, yes), published in 2001. It is currently under investigation according to the San Diego Union Tribune. (By the way, I got all this information from an article in the San Diego Union Tribune in the April 25, 2006 edition entitled "Similarities found between 2001 novel, 19-year-old's hit book" by Andrew Ryan of the Associated Press. I do not want to be another Indian accused of plagiarism.) Based on the passage, it seems too similar to be merely coincedence. Maybe it's just me and my jealousy.