Sunday, January 11, 2009

Overwhelmed, Unemployed...

I'll probably be posting on this again since I have so much time to kill. I doubt anyone will find this small patch of internet--an infinitesimal spot in an infinite expanse--interesting, but for my own sanity I will post current goings-on and such and pretend there is an audience that cares.

First things first (and exciting news, that first of first things), is I have jury duty. In the past, jury duty was a dread, a bane, an evil which I would do anything to avoid. In fact, I have been summoned for jury duty three times in my short life, and I never once set foot in a courthouse in response. I always sent an excuse. They were always valid (the first time I was summoned to the San Diego courthouse, but I was attending the University of California, Irvine; the second and third times my job would not pay for me to attend jury duty), and I was always relieved that I was never questioned or coerced to attend. Now, I plan to not only respond to the summons, but I hope I get on a jury, just so I can earn some money and do something. Such terrible, terrible times we are in when one looks forward to his "civic duty."

In other news, I thought I was done applying to Ph.D. programs (I just finished the Virginia Tech application last week), but it turns out I will apply to two more schools: Pennsylvania State University and the University of Washington in Seattle. On top of that, I will probably apply to Virginia Tech again for their MFA program (it sounds like a good deal), and I need to finish UCI's law school application too.

That, so far, is all I would like to post for now, O Reader. Unless I get a job or I fall into an even deeper malaise, be sure to check back often for more updates. (I pray they will be more interesting than this one.)